Metal shingle roofing systems are becoming a popular choice for residents of the South Shore even though they’re not as common as standing seam metal roofs. Metal roofing shingles come in many colors, styles, options and profiles, with the two common types being interlocking shingles and overlapping tiles.
They are considered to be true architectural metal roofs, and can give you a long-lasting roofing solution with the look of natural slate, cedar shingles or clay tiles at a fraction of the cost. They resemble shingles, of course, which means they’re best suited for homes, giving you the best of both worlds: the durability of metal with the appearance of residential shingles.
On the other hand, standing seam metal roofing is basically a concealed fastener metal panel system featuring vertical legs and a flat, broad area between them. They can have raised seams above the level of the panel’s flat area, and have distinctive vertical patterns with clean lines and hidden fasteners perfect for residential, agricultural and commercial buildings.
Both have their benefits. Let’s go over each.
Standing Seam Metal Roofs
From weather resistance to durability, here are the advantages of standing seam metal roofs in Marshfield:
- Snow, Ice and Blizzard Resistant: In a climate like New England, metal is a perfect choice for roofing. It’s extremely resistant to snow and ice formation, and can withstand strong winds that come with rain storms and blizzards.
- Recyclable: If you’re looking to make your South Shore home more eco-friendly, metal roofs are a great option, as they have between 25 and 95 percent recycled content, plus they’re 100% recyclable at the end of their life.
- Lightweight and Durable: Metal roofing materials won’t crack, rot, or warp, and can last between 40 and 70 years or more.
- Fire Safe: They won’t ignite into flame during a lightning strike or wildfire, plus you can even save on your insurance if you install a metal roof.
- Options: You have many options when it comes to colors, materials, shapes and widths, plus you can choose between steel, aluminum, metal, zinc, and copper.
- Low Upkeep: If you have a busy lifestyle and don’t have extra time to maintain your roof, metal is low-maintenance roofing material as it’s coated in zinc-aluminum alloy that allows it to resist corrosion.
- Energy-Efficient: Thanks to highly reflective paints that are factory-applied to the surface, metal roofs are able to reflect solar radiant heat, slashing cooling costs by 10 to 25 percent.
Metal Shingle Roofs
From aesthetics to wind resistance, there are some of the benefits of South Shore metal shingle roofing:
- Aesthetics: Metal shingles bring more of a traditional residential appearance as compared with standing seam metal roofs, which tend to be more agricultural or commercial in nature. Metal shingles can mimic the look of asphalt shingles, wood shakes, high-end slate, or tile.
- Low - light Weight:Metal shingles are a lightweight option that can extend the life of your home with less pressure.
- Wind Resistance: Thanks to the interlocking nature of metal shingles, this type of roofing system is great for high wind areas. They interlock on all sides, concealing fasteners from the elements.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal shingles feature heat-reflective coatings to keep your Marshfield home cooler in warm weather. They also have thermal breaks between the metal and the structure, which stop conductive heat flow and make them more efficient than vertical seam metal roofs that sit directly on the roof deck.
- Solar-Readiness: Metal shingles offer a great base for solar installations, resulting in durability thanks to both a solid surface and a cool surface to enhance solar panel energy production.
Contact Revered Roofing in the South Shore
Still not sure which one to choose: metal shingle or standing seam? Contact us at 781-536-4589 to get a free quote, Free Quote.
We serve the entire South Shore and lower Cape with quality metal shingle and standing seam roofing products, including Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Falmouth, Hingham, Norwood, Milton and Plymouth.
We love our new roof!! Paul was wonderful to work with...his crew was professional and meticulous ...it looks great and I'm sure we'll enjoy the benefits of a metal roof for many years to come..Thank you Paul