The simple answer is yes, in most cases you can put down a new metal roof over an existing asphalt shingle roof. In fact, this is one of the reasons why metal roofing has been soaring in popularity recently, as its installation does not require a roofer to completely tear off the existing roof (as you can imagine, this is an expensive, time-consuming endeavor).
Although very strong, metal is also very light. It weighs less than a pound per square foot when you compare that with up to four pounds a square foot for asphalt shingles. When you add a metal roof over your existing shingles, this won’t significantly increase the load for the structure to bear.
By doing this, you can save the expense of totally removing the existing roof, plus the underlying roof can act as extra insulation above your home so conditioned air doesn’t escape.
Because metal roofs are heat blockers, essentially reflecting heat away from their surface instead of absorbing it, the extra insulation from your shingles won’t act as a heat trap. Here are some considerations to keep in mind when having metal roofers metal roofers in Marshfield install a metal roof over your existing shingles.
Metal Over Shingles: Factors to Think About
- Approval: While it’s technically possible to install metal over shingles, you should always check with your local building and zoning departments and get their approval. Your roofer may also be able to ask on your behalf before engaging in metal-over-shingle installations.
- Leaks: If your shingle roof is leaking, you first need to check the area for rotting rafters or sheeting. Those issues must be repaired before putting on the new roof.
- Structural Problems: If your current roof’s weight has led to structural problems such as buckled trusses or sagging decking, you also need to address these issues before metal roof installation.
- Underlayment: Add some type of underlayment on top of the asphalt shingles so their granules won’t come into contact with the metal and result in corrosion.
Benefits of Metal Roofs
When installing a brand new metal roof over a shingle roof, you get peace of mind knowing you’re saving money that you would have had to spend to tear off the old roof. There are many more benefits to a metal roof.
- Long life: A properly-installed, quality metal roof can last up to 50 years or more before replacement is needed.
- Impervious to damage: Metal roofs can handle even the most intense weather events, from ice storms and pounding hail to high winds and searing summer heat.
- Low maintenance: Due to their strength, metal roofs do not require regular and expensive maintenance and repair jobs.
- Lower cooling bills: The coatings on metal roofs help them to block and reflect heat instead of absorbing it, resulting in cooler interior temperatures in summer with less reliance on the AC system.
SOuth Shore Metal Revered Roofing in Hanson, MA
Learn more benefits of metal roofing over asphalt shingles when you contact our Hanson roofers at 781-536-4589. We would be happy to give you a free quote and consultation on the process.
Professional, kind and efficient. Quote was reasonable, great communication and follow through. I would highly recommend them. - Jennifer S