The short answer is yes, you can restore a metal roofWhether you recently bought a home or other building with an aging metal roof or the metal-roof home that you yourself originally bought 30 years ago needs sprucing up, a restoration may be in order. Before you think you have to replace the whole thing, consider the fact that you can probably just restore it and save yourself some money.
Restoring a metal panel roof is actually a cost-efficient method of maintenance. Provided you choose high-quality materials and a reputable contractor to perform the work, the restoration process will have your roof looking – and functioning -- like new. On top of that, you will be making an eco-friendly choice that will help conserve natural resources.
Considerations For a Metal Roof Restoration
When getting your metal roof restored, the project will depend on:
- The type of metal roof you already have
- Your location
- Exposure to the elements
- The purpose of your building
As you may already know, moisture is one of the biggest threats to metal building products. In addition, environmental chemicals and toxins are also damaging, as they can react with the coating materials in the roof, and result in corrosion. Chemical build-up should be removed prior to the restoration, and those offenders can include jet fuel, airborne toxins, paint mist, grease from restaurant vents, pesticides, dirt, and even salt air.
Remember to factor in climate. If you live in a cooler climate, your metal roof will need a more elastic coating than warmer climates to allow seams and joints the flexibility to expand and contract as the temperature changes.
Helpful Things to Know
When calling contractors for quotes, be prepared to ask some questions so they can get a better idea of what they’re up against. You should know:
- The age and size of your roof
- The use of the building (residential, commercial, agricultural)
- The slope of the roof
- Common problems with the existing roof, such as leaks, corrosion, and structural issues
- The color and finish of the roof (silver, white, reflective)
- Whether or not the roof has been restored with a single-ply previously
- Whether or not the roof has ever been recoated
- The type of roof you have ("R" Panel, Corrugated, Architectural Standing Seam)
Metal Roof Restoration Process
There are a few steps your South Shore roofer in Hanson Massachusetts will go through as part of a metal roof restoration.
- 1. Inspect the Roof. This will allow your roofer to detect existing problems such as dirt, rust, moisture, moss, and punctures.
- 2. Fix Leaks. Your roofer will replace damaged panels, refasten loose parts and panels, and seal up holes or loose seams with a sealant.
- 3. Clean. The roof will be thoroughly washed and cleaned.
- 4. Apply Coating: Roofers will apply a durable and waterproof coating.
Contact Revered Roofing in the South Shore
If you have any additional questions about the process of restoring your metal roof and how our South Shore roofers can help, Get Free Quotes or call us in Hanson MA today at 781-536-4589
We serve the entire South Shore and lower Cape with quality metal roofing products; standing seam, metal shingle and metal panel roofs in Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Needham, Medfield, Milton, Halifax, Hanover, Falmouth and Plymouth.
Paul was easy going and a pleasure to deal with. No pressure. Crew got started late but the metal roof with new sky lights over our sun room was done in a day! Quality work. I recommend Revered Metal Roofing.