Many things have posed a challenge over the last year, and roofing is no exception. If you’ve started doing the research on a new roof this year, you may have heard about some of the issues impacting the construction and home remodeling industry. Many of these issues are outside the control of contractors, manufacturers, and suppliers, as products and materials are experiencing unprecedented shortages.
Because so many more people have been home this year, many are deciding to take on much-needed renovations. The result? Skyrocketing demand for labor and materials (lumber, anyone?) and not enough time for contractors to get it all done. While some home improvement projects can be put off till the shortages dissipate, some simply can’t. Take roofing, for example. If you’re experiencing leaks and need a new roof, you can’t really wait.
So what happens when you absolutely need a new roof?
- Buy as soon as you can – Prices will continue to increase, and they’ll only get higher with the longer you wait. Buy now to take advantage of current prices before they continue to rise, or be prepared to wait till well after the pandemic is over and prices start to normalize again.
- Pad your budget – Work some wiggle room into your budget. Roofing projects need flexibility in case of unforeseen circumstances.
- Expect to wait longer – Thanks to lack of supply, labor shortages, and a boost in demand, it’s taking longer for products to be delivered to contractors and homeowners -- especially when it comes to metal roofing. That’s because many metal mills were hit hard by the shutdowns of 2020, leading to dwindling supply coupled with high demand.
- Talk to your contractor – Keep the lines of communication open when it comes to price, timetables and expected completion dates. They can change on a dime, and it’s not necessarily their fault. In fact, your roofing contractors are likely doing all they can to keep in touch with suppliers as shortages and lead times continue to evolve. Remember that these delays are out of everyone’s control.
- Understand qualified installers are at a premium – Be sure to plan your project well ahead of time to ensure you book the best roofer possible. Just like materials, roofers are also in demand. They’re often booked up months ahead of time, so be prepared to wait to lock in the best roofers.
Keep these tips in mind when planning a roofing project this year, and your patience will pay off big time in the form of a high quality, energy efficient, aesthetically pleasing roof!
Contact Revered Metal Roofing in Hanson, MA
To learn more about how you can get a new roof for your South Shore home quickly this year, make an appointment with us for a free consultation and quote. Just contact our trained and expert roofers in Marshfield MA today at 781-536-4589.
Free Roofing Quotes Metal Panel, Standing Seam, Metal Shingle and Asphalt Shingle Roofs
We serve the entire South Shore and lower Cape with quality roofing products, including Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Falmouth, Plymouth and Metro West in Wellesly and Natick.
What a great contractor experience. Paul and his crew communicated well, made great suggestions and completed the roof ahead of schedule for a fair price. The worksite was left in better condition than when they arrived. Overall a great experience. I highly recommend them.