There are a few distinct differences between metal shingle roofs and standing seam metal roofs. While metal shingle roofs are generally more popular for home owners along the South Shore, they don’t seem to be quite as common as standing seam metal roofs are.
Metal roofing shingles are available in several profiles, colors, styles, and options. The top two types are interlocking shingles and tiles that overlap. These are known as true architectural metal roofs, providing a long-lasting roofing solution while mimicking the look of cedar shingles, natural slate, or clay tiles at a much lower cost.
As the name implies, they look like shingles and are thus great for residential homes. Not only do you get the durability of metal, you get the appearance of residential shingles.
By contrast, standing seam metal roofing, a concealed fastener metal panel system, features vertical legs and a flat and broad area between each. With raised seams above the flat area, the distinctive vertical patterns draw the eye with their clean lines and hidden fasteners. This type is well suited for agricultural and commercial buildings as well as residential homes in most cases. Standing Seam Have A Long-Standing Track Record.
A Look at Metal Shingle Roofs
From low weight to wind resistance, here are the perks of South Shore metal shingle roofing:
- Energy Efficiency: Metal shingles have heat-reflective coatings that ensure your Marshfield home stays cooler in warm weather. And with thermal breaks between the structure and metal, conductive heat flow is hampered, which makes them very efficient as compared with vertical seam metal roofs (these sit directly on the roof deck).
- Aesthetics: Metal shingles boast a more traditional residential appearance vs. standing seam metal roofs, which have more of an agricultural or commercial feel. Metal shingles resemble the appearance of tile, slate, asphalt shingles, or wood shakes, making them quite versatile.
- Solar-Readiness: Metal shingles form a good foundation for solar installations, due to the solid surface and cool surface that enhances solar panel energy production.
- Low Weight: Metal shingles are light in weight, putting less pressure on your home.
- Wind Resistance: If you live in a high wind area, you will like the interlocking metal shingles, locking on all sides and hiding fasteners from the weather.
A Look at Standing Seam Metal Roofs
From fire safety to weather resistance, check out the perks of standing seam metal roofs in Taunton:
- Fire Safety: Your insurance company will give you a discount on these fire safe roofing systems, which will not ignite into flame during a wildfire or lightning strike.
- Snow-, Ice- and Blizzard-Resistant: Metal is great for a climate like New England, as it resists snow and ice formation, while withstanding strong winds as part of rain storms and blizzards.
- Recyclable: Make your South Shore home more eco-friendly with these metal roofs, boasting 25 to 95 percent recycled content. They also happen to be 100% recyclable at the end of their lifetimes.
- Lightweight Yet Durable: They will not crack, rot, or warp, often lasting between 40 and 70 years.
- Low Upkeep: For homeowners who don’t have extra time to maintain their roof, this low-maintenance roofing material is great because it’s coated in an alloy of zinc-aluminum that won’t fall victim to corrosion.
- Energy-Efficiency: The highly reflective paints of this option, factory-applied to the surface, make them able to reflect solar radiant heat. As a result, you enjoy lower cooling costs by between 10 and 25 percent.
- Options: Choose from a wide spectrum of colors, widths, materials, and shapes for the ultimate in versatility.
Contact Revered Roofing in the South Shore
If you need assistance from a Hanson roofer on metal shingle vs. standing seam, contact us at 781-536-4589. Our metal shingle roofers proudly service the South Shore, including Plymouth, Taunton, Falmouth, Quincy, and Marshfield. Conveniently located in Hanson, MA building Eastern Massachusetts
We serve the entire South Shore and lower Cape with quality metal roofing products; standing seam, metal shingle and metal panel roofs in Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Needham, Medfield, Milton, Halifax, Hanover, Falmouth and Plymouth.
Paul was easy going and a pleasure to deal with. No pressure. Crew got started late but the metal roof with new sky lights over our sun room was done in a day! Quality work. I recommend Revered Metal Roofing.