You will commonly see many agricultural buildings using metal panels on their roofs. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is durability. You’ll need a trusted South Shore roofer to install your metal panels to ensure a long lifespan out of your farm building’s roof.
Benefits of Metal Panels
Here’s a look at why so many agricultural buildings use metal panels:
- Durability: Metal panels are durable if nothing else, able to withstand high winds, pelting rain, and heavy snowfall. They also happen to be quite hail resistant, thanks to a class 4 rating. They won’t get damaged by termites, unlike wood, and metal panels are non-combustible.
- Longevity: Metal panels last 3x to 4x times longer than other materials -- up to 75 years and more if treated right. And they won’t get brittle after decades in the sun, unlike corrugated fiberglass panels.
- Cost Savings: Metal is a cost-effective material because you don’t have to replace it as often as wood or asphalt. And because metal is so durable, you don’t spend as much on maintenance.
- Sustainability: Metal panels are crafted from recycled materials, plus they’re 100% recyclable at the end of their lifespan. There are many roofing colors you can choose from that will reflect the sun’s heat rather than absorb it.
- Ease of Installation: Installers can cut metal panels to the nearest 1/4 of an inch, which makes installation a breeze. Most panels feature three feet of coverage, making metal more time-efficient than layering shingles one by one.
- Design Flexibility: You have several options to choose from in regards to styles, profiles, finishes and colors.
Metal Panels Are Ideal For Livestock Shelters
Animal confinement poses many challenges if you use materials that have only been designed for simple residential or small commercial use. You need to use materials that are much stronger and durable in order to contain large animals such as cows and horses. Heck, you need durable materials even to confine small livestock such as sheep and chickens. That’s why metal panels are ideal for constructing livestock shelters.
Animal waste contains a lot of ammonia, which can corrode metal in just five years. This corrosion can even happen in roofs due to airborne fumes, and on walls, where manure or dirt rests against the panels for long periods of time. These problems can be minimized or even prevented with proper ventilation and regular maintenance, including cleaning the panels regularly and repairing damage right away.
You can also apply special coatings or protective, self-adhesive moisture barriers to your metal panels. This will keep moisture from touching the panels directly. For hog or cattle barns, you could install a polycarbonate panel as well in order to minimize contact so it’s easier to clean the metal panels.
If you own an agricultural building and need to replace your roof or walls, these are all good reasons to choose metal panels.
Contact Revered Roofing in the South Shore
If you would like to know more about our metal panel roofs for agricultural buildings, call our Marshfield MA roofers today at 781-536-4589.
We serve the entire South Shore and lower Cape with quality metal roofing products; standing seam, metal shingle and metal panel roofs in Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Needham, Medfield, Milton, Halifax, Hanover, Falmouth and Plymouth.
Paul was easy going and a pleasure to deal with. No pressure. Crew got started late but the metal roof with new sky lights over our sun room was done in a day! Quality work. I recommend Revered Metal Roofing.