When facing a roof replacement for your home on the South Shore, naturally your first thought goes to: which material should I choose? The two main types are metal and asphalt shingle roofing, both of which offer several benefits and make excellent investments for your property. We work extensively with both kinds, so we know a thing or two about them.
Pros: Metal Roofing
- Durable: Metal roofs can withstand pretty much anything Mother Nature throws at them, and come with 30- to 50-year warranties; most will outlast those warranties, with lifespans of 40 to 70 years.
- Eco-friendly and can be recycled
- Energy efficient: cooler in summer and warmer in winter
- Availability of tax credits
- Little to no maintenance
Cons: Metal Roofing
- Cost: Metal roofs are generally more expensive than asphalt. You'll also pay more for metal installation labor because it's a more specialized job. However, because metal roofs are a lifetime investment, they're most cost efficient over time.
- Damage: Extreme hail or falling branches may dent your metal roof. Walking on it improperly can also damage it. But there are variations in metal you can choose from; for instance, steel is hardier than copper.
- Can be noisy without proper installation and insulation.
Pros: Asphalt Roofs
- More affordable than metal; however, because they have to be replaced every couple of decades, this is at least a two-time cost for homeowners.
- Variety of color and style choices to match your home
- Easy to install and repair, as compared with metal which takes precision and therefore more time.
- Materials and installation cost less
- More popular with homeowners
Cons: Asphalts Roofs
- Pooling water and damp conditions may result in the growth of algae and fungus
- Ice dams can create cracks
- Temperature spikes between day and night may lower the life span.
- Asphalt roofs come with 15- to 30-year warranties, as compared with metal, with 30 to 50 year warranties.
- These petroleum-based products increase dependency on fossil fuels.
- Must be replaced more often than metal, adding to the landfills
- Absorbs heat from summer sun
As you can see, there are clear advantages and disadvantages of each material type. The one you choose will depend greatly on your budget, house style, needs and future plans. We can help with this all-important decision.
Contact Revered Roofing in the South Shore
Here at Revered Roofing, we use EDCO metal shingle products and architectural asphalt shingles using Cobra Ridge venting with matching ridge caps. We serve the entire South Shore with quality asphalt and metal roofing products, including Hanson, Taunton, Marshfield, Quincy, Falmouth and Plymouth. To find out which type of roof is best for your Marshfield home or to get a Free Quote, contact us at 781-536-4589.
Had my metal roof installed this month, I LOVE IT. Super professional, great communication, prompt with everything. Thank you so much for making this experience a good one. I highly recommend this company!